Xav doing the Race Of Remembrance, Anglesey -photos added

Post your Lotus and related chat in here folks.
jbs_type25

Xav doing the Race Of Remembrance, Anglesey -photos added

Post by jbs_type25 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:39 pm

If you go to http://www.tsl-timing.com you can see the live timing for the race.
He's in car 81, Blink motorsport. Last time I looked, they were 12th out of 40.
Xav is driver B, if you look for the event details you'll get the times he is due out.
Click on the tracking tab once you've got to the timing screen to view car positions on circuit.

brooke bond

Re: Xav doing the Race Of Remembrance, Anglesey

Post by brooke bond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:31 am

As you have posted this Jason, i better put up some phots. Totally Awesome Experience, for a fantastic cause, and an extraordinary and moving experience:
Xav

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:11 am

this came about in conversation during a visit to BLiNK Motorsport back in Feb this year, when I was getting my Sprint Elise mapped and set up. A week later, I'd taken my ARDS test & put my name down for a seat in their car. I then looked forward to this for the next 8-9months, but was distracted by a good battle in the LCUK Speed Championship. The plan was that I'd get to do a practice day or maybe a race before the event to dial myself in a bit, but the year just has gone too fast! So I started this weekend with a few firsts: never driven an MX5 before, never raced before, never been on track in the dark before, but somehow a 1000km, 9hour endurance race seemed a good idea.
BLiNK only built the car from a fresh road car 10 days before this weekend, and they did a fantastic job I have to say, well done Richard, Graham, Frazer.
Friday- free practice session followed by two lots of qualifying , one day & night. During the first qually, the Safety Car came out (another first) , but it came out right in front of me! With a line of 40+ cars behind me I certainly felt the pressure, but watching BTCC helped me out (did I mention Tom Onslow-Cole was sharing a car with Sir Chris Hoy) safety car lights out , I backed everyone up, & then put the hammer down, it seemed go ok I just stuck to my line and eventually the quicker cars started to pass and the Car 81 qualified 16th on the grid for the start (row 8). Our team had 4 drivers Richard (BLiNK), me, Declan Jones & Nathan Bell , all experienced quick drivers with Declan being a GT4 driver & instructor (except me) .
The race started on Sat afternoon @ 4pm , with a rolling start & stopping at 7pm. with a min 6 number of mandatory pit stops of min 4mins each , our strategy was to driver change when fuelling. I went out for the last 30 min of the night, and with a very varied range and pace of cars , it was a sensory overload and my eyes were on stalks. Passing cars, being passed (mainly Caterhams) with massive LED light bars strapped to the top of their roll cages, mean they almost melted me from 100 yards away! Either way, turning into the apex meant you were never 100% sure there wasn't a car there, not for the faint hearted! Cars were Park Ferme overnight, which meant I did the first day stint in Sun @ 45 minutes. Can't ever remember being out on track, on the pace , for that long before, ever. But the car soldiered on, faultlessly .
At 10:45 the race stopped, all cars simply stopping on the pit straight, all out for the Rememberance Service to be help in the pit lane. An extremely moving experience seeing first hand, ex servicemen and women, with the disfigurements that the battlefield brings , Remembering those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. And then someone shouts "Let's go Racing" and drivers jump back in and the race resumes until around 15:30. In my last hour drive in the afternoon, around 45minutes in, trying to squeeze up the inside of a BMW compact into the Bookatrack Banking, I managed to catch my harness buckle, "ping" and all my belts were undone! Bugger I thought, not that's not good, what to do now. Turning into Church , floating around I frantically started to wave my arm out the window hoping my pit crew would spot me from the other side of the track , that I was coming in. In the end it worked, but it had sent them into panic as they thought the car must have a problem.
I stayed out of trouble, the car came back unmarked, although a little tied I'm sure and certainly hot under the collar. We were aiming to be the 1st Mazda to finish, and after 9 hours , 1000kms of driving there was less than 1/2 lap between us, although there were some questionable tack ticks used by the other team, but we stuck 100% to the rules, so consider it a moral victory.
I'm not sure of the final results, I think we were 16th overall (out of 45 cars) 5th in Class, 2nd Mazda, but we finished and that is what it was about! :Yahoo:
Now totally exhausted , will have this life memory to replay many times over.
Many many thanks to Declan, his dad Kelvin for the words of advice which got me through this (their vast vast experience was evident and gratefully received), and to all those who helped support and make this possible,
& of course once again the BLiNK Motorsport team , Richard, Frazer & Graham. Thank you all.
Xav

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 am

Xav

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:22 am

Xav

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:23 am

Special cakes my daughter made :)
Xav

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:24 am

The BLiNK team with "Poppy"

Xav

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:27 am

Just to prove it was dark, will try to upload at some point some in car, most of it was video on.
Xav

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:36 am

Fluids diwn on the last corner before the checkered flag , not a good place to go off & as you can hear I wasn't quite sure what caused it but it was probably some fluids down on the track as a good few cars were caught out as well, sorry for the poor quality, video of a video

https://youtu.be/COpvy9XJjBc
Xav

Jono

Re: Xav doing the Race Of Remembrance, Anglesey -photos added

Post by Jono » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:03 am

Excellent stuff Xav and for a great cause, well done! Must have been a :fantastic: experience.
Elise S2

jbs_type25

Post by jbs_type25 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:45 am

Excellent, glad you enjoyed it. :fantastic:

oggy

Post by oggy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:37 pm

well done xav, does this mean you'll be buying that mx5 now :driving:
I feel a change coming :unsure:

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:06 pm

A few more good photos, which i have borrowed to help show what RoR was all about.
Xav

Gazz

Post by Gazz » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:25 pm

Well done Xav, good write up.

Bet you're hooked on racing now :-)
'05 Elise 111R

Andy C

Post by Andy C » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:19 am

Well done Xav and the guys at Blink.

Over the weekend I was watching a film Chris Harris had posted from last years event...looks great to be part of something so worth while and alot of fun.
S1 Sport 160 Starlight Black
B5 RS4....tweaked a little!

mill

Post by mill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Well done Xav looks awesome :D
Black Exige S
Silver E46 M3

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:38 pm

Just found this video , its up at the exit of Rocket, properly dark up there

Car 81 at 43 sec with the red flashing lights on top of windscreen

https://youtu.be/zd7pJtbHOUc
Xav

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:09 pm

Andy C wrote:Well done Xav and the guys at Blink.

Over the weekend I was watching a film Chris Harris had posted from last years event...looks great to be part of something so worth while and alot of fun.
Yes Andy the Chis Harris vid has only just been released following nearly a year of legal issues (top gear / bbc etc )
Xav

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:16 am

Great to read that Xav, well done to you and the team! :)
Elise 111R
BMW M140i

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:32 pm

What a great event to be involved in.

Great write up Xav :fantastic:
Exige Roadster
Black Exige S - Going to a good home I hope!
TVR 400 SE - The sofa has gone
Elise S1 - Long gone but not forgotten

Graham the Interloper

Post by Graham the Interloper » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Sounds like an awesome time.

Out of interest, how did your lap times fare vs your peers and over a stint? Did you get quicker as you got used to the car, or are the longer stints a proper test of endurance as concentration drops off?

I'd love to do something like this, but suspect I'd be somewhat naff at it =)

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Graham the Interloper wrote:Sounds like an awesome time.

Out of interest, how did your lap times fare vs your peers and over a stint? Did you get quicker as you got used to the car, or are the longer stints a proper test of endurance as concentration drops off?

I'd love to do something like this, but suspect I'd be somewhat naff at it =)
I started off 5 secs off the pace day time, 10 seconds during practice, this I reduced to 1-3secs day & night, but do remember one of them is a pro racer & instructor, and the other two are easy top 10 MX5 Supercup drivers and their times were all within 6tenths of each other during qually.
My times were consistent with a second or so, but I actually got quicker during my stints, and never found concentration drifting.
Xav

Graham the Interloper

Post by Graham the Interloper » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 pm

nice one Xav, that's a much better spread than say the Pro-Am split in GTE or LMP2. Not uncommon to see those boys at 5s/lap.
Longest track day session I've done was about 40 minutes at Cadwell, I was knackered after that! Doing a full on 2 hour slot must be quite a workout =)

mikeydude
Site Admin

Post by mikeydude » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Great stuff Xav, well done mate...and a good write up as well.
Love my Elan...Learning to live with my 111R!