Selling a car to a European

Post your Lotus and related chat in here folks.
jasontrevor

Selling a car to a European

Post by jasontrevor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Got some interest for my car from a guy in Holland , now anyone ever sold a car abroad before on here . Any tips ie what do you do regarding reg doc , also paying for the car what,s the best way most secure . Any advice taken thank you all ...Jas

brooke bond

Re: Selling a car to a European

Post by brooke bond » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Cash or transfer before they take the car, the red shed went to France. Just send your v5 slip off,
Xav

Martin 111S

Post by Martin 111S » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Don't you have to get some sort of Cert. from Lotus ? I suppose bank transfer but you need to make sure its cleared obviously before you let it go. If paying cash :blink: I'd want it checked and banked before the car went. However paying in that sort of cash raises eye brows ;)

Think there's plenty of threads on Seloc about this :unsure:

Good luck and hope its not a time waster - current exchange rates makes them cheap so up the price by 10% at least :P

Xav beat me to it, no surprise there really :D

Find a Path That Captures Your Heart and Follow It to Its End !!

colnago

Post by colnago » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Following on from the above comments if it is cash do not handle the cash physically, you and the purchaser travel to your bank, go to the check in desk, explain to the 'cashier' that this person is purchasing your car by cash and you want the purchaser to pass over the cash to them so that it can be checked in.That way if there are any 'discrepancies' with any of the cash there cannot be any finger pointed at you. Plus any 'where has this money come from etc will be directed to the purchaser'

Or if the purchaser does not / or gives excuses not to go to the bank do not take the cash / hand over the car

My twopenth on the risk management

whitergb

Post by whitergb » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 pm

It would very unusual for an overseas buyer to pay cash, and as previously commented that kind of amount gets flagged at the bank. I would only accept a bank transfer and would only let the car go on cleared funds. Not sure on the V5 registration as the new keeper probably won't have a UK address so I would advise contacting DVLA to find out the procedure. I shouldn't think it will too difficult though.
Elise SC RGB Edition Aspen White
TVR T350C Spectraflair Silver

jasontrevor

Post by jasontrevor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks all for comments lets see what happens ...

brooke bond

Post by brooke bond » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:43 pm

The certificate of conformity is the buyers responsibility, @ 100notes from lotus i believe. The red shed had one amounst its paperwork i recall.
Xav