Euro trip 2017

Post your Lotus and related chat in here folks.
oggy

Euro trip 2017

Post by oggy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 am

Well as some of you already know a few of us are of for a little jaunt around Europe. We set of today and head for hull to catch the ferry over to Rotterdam. Well try a keep you updated with a daily report and some photos. Wish us luck and pray for good weather :driving:
I feel a change coming :unsure:

mikeydude
Site Admin

Re: Euro trip 2017

Post by mikeydude » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 am

Enjoy
Love my Elan...Learning to live with my 111R!

oggy

Post by oggy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 am

All ready for the off Image

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Safe trip guys, look forward to updates
Exige Roadster
Black Exige S - Going to a good home I hope!
TVR 400 SE - The sofa has gone
Elise S1 - Long gone but not forgotten

Thommo

Post by Thommo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Have fun. Looking forward to pics and progress reports
Just over the hill

oggy

Post by oggy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Well we made the ferry but we are a man down. Sam us as I type this trying to make the ferry having had to drive from London because of work commitments. Come on Sam were praying for you buddy its your round 😁

Martin 111S

Post by Martin 111S » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:47 pm

oggy wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:40 pm
Well we made the ferry but we are a man down. Sam us as I type this trying to make the ferry having had to drive from London because of work commitments. Come on Sam were praying for you buddy its your round 😁
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Are you nearly there yet :P

Have fun :driving: folks :Drunk:
Find a Path That Captures Your Heart and Follow It to Its End !!

RichEuropaS

Post by RichEuropaS » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Hope you have a great time. Can't wait to see the photos...
Europa S 2.0 Turbo

whitergb

Post by whitergb » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Have a great trip guys, looking forward to the updates. Come on Sam get yer foot down :driving:
Elise SC RGB Edition Aspen White
TVR T350C Spectraflair Silver

whitergb

Post by whitergb » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:56 pm

It's just been confirmed, Sam has made the ferry with 5 minutes to spare, top work fella! :fantastic:

Jono

Post by Jono » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:34 pm

oggy wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 am
All ready for the off Image
Looking great John. I bet Sam's wheels have some tyre paint on before the end of the trip!
Have a safe trip guys, looking forward to the updates. Hope the weather holds for you! :unsure:
Elise S2

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:34 am

Safe trip guys, fingers crossed for great weather and kind traffic on the passes.

jasontrevor

Post by jasontrevor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Have a great trip lads , so wish i could join you . Next one hey!

janey300

Post by janey300 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Have a great trip hope you the roads are ace !

Looking forward to the pics

Stay safe

Si & Jane
aka simon and jane

oggy

Post by oggy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Well we're all back safe and sound, haven't really had much time to post up and photo bucket is a right pain. So when I've sorted out how to sort out the photos I'll do a write up and I need to catch up on some sleep. Other than that it was bloody awesome :fantastic:

Martin 111S

Post by Martin 111S » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Glad it went well without problems - photobucket is dead basically - unless you want to pay to host pics. :(

Looking forward to the tales of joy and pictures of truth :D
Find a Path That Captures Your Heart and Follow It to Its End !!

oggy

Post by oggy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:49 am

Martin 111S wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:17 pm
Glad it went well without problems - photobucket is dead basically - unless you want to pay to host pics. :(

Looking forward to the tales of joy and pictures of truth :D
It went well but there were a few problems ;)

whitergb

Post by whitergb » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Glad you are all back safe and well, looking forward to the pics and tales of what went on.

janey300

Post by janey300 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Where did you get to Oggy?

Looking forward to the pics :)

Si
aka simon and jane

oggy

Post by oggy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Ok as photobucket is not working i've done a bit of a mash up up on you tube of some of my photos. there a mixture of phone and ipad so the quality isn't what i expected on a few of them but you'll get the idea. here's the link i hope it works https://youtu.be/SrgpuWxyz1I

oggy

Post by oggy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 pm

day 1 was the boring run from Rotterdam to the black forest all went well apart from i noticed that my water level was low at one of the fuelling stops. there was no sign of loss of coolant anywhere and the temps had been fine so a quick top up and we where on the way with no issues.

day 2 black forest to somewhere else in germany. another good day but i had to top up the coolant again still had no idea where it was going but it was going somewhere. still no issues with temps so carried on regardless the roads were good the weather was excellent.

day 3 somewhere in germany to austria. this is where we finally hit the alps the roads had been good but they were about to get a whole lot better. i dont no whats better the alps or the dolomites but who cares i did both :D . car still losing coolant but this time i had a puddle under the car. it was pooling on the drivers side and looked to be coming from the coolant pipe or hoses the go into the sill, not gushing out but leaking all the same. took the decision to look at it when i got chance but everything seemed to be ok if i just kept on top of the coolant level.

day 4 austria to austria. another good day with a little run over the grossglockner to boot. this is an epic pass and not to be missed and had a pretty clear run up even spotted a few test mules. temps were ok but still losing coolant and a puff of steam was spotted coming out of the engine bay at the top of the pass. one thing was obvious this trip, id purposefully made the mileage shorter which in turn gave us more time for the social side eg. drink :Friends: of course it was all non-alcohol.

day 5 austria to italy. interesting day this one. it started of well with a lovely run upto a pass which crosses from austria into italy only to be greeted by a road closed, there had been a landslide the following sunday and had still not been cleared so we had to divert a quick look at the map some reworking of the sat nav told to be quiet by a film crew who were filming some woman and we were on our way heading back towards the hotel we had just left :lol: detour taken and back on route and we hit the dolomites and the it happened after reaching the top of one of the passes i checked my water all looked good but on the way down the temps started to rise and then steam started coming from up between the seats and out of the engine bay. i went into tesla mode and still coasted down quicker than most of the traffic. upon inspection the top hose from the engine to the lower coolant pipe had let go it would seem it had been leaking down onto the chassis and running across to the drivers side making it look like thats were the leak was. so i quickly removed the pipe but what to do? fortunately for me jase was carrying a spare had it fitted in a jiffy quick bleed of the system and we on our way with no more coolant issues for the rest of the trip. thanks jase a life saver. so we were no running behind schedule so we decided to cut the day short and head direct to the hotel.

day 6 italy italy. a few decided to take a rest day and a few of us did the loop we had missed from day 5 a nice little run but the traffic got quite busy towards the end. that night turned out to be quite interesting aswell. we all had a few to many and we han a man down but thats a story for another day. :Drunk:

day 7 italy to austria. everybody was really tired on this one and the weather wasn't brilliant but some epic roads non the less just not much chatter on the radios.

day 8 austria to germany. everybody recovered and back to normal. i found some roads id not done before and they were really excellent and a few of us even managed a dipp in a lake to cool off :Yahoo:

day 9 germany to rotterdam. well this is always a depressing day as it signals the end of the holiday and is a boring run up the motorway but id put a little twist in the tail. in the past we had always let the sat nav find us the quickest route back which normally took us into france but this time i wanted to stay in germany and north then into holland so i started the day with waypoints which meant we did the b500 road through the black forest and boy was it epic, yes guys i did plan it that way honest ;)

all in all a bloody good holiday with a few hiccups some worse than others but we all made it home in one piece and all of us want to go again. this is just a snippet of the holiday and im sure there will be more stories to be told. all i will say if youve ever thought about doing a road trip whether its in this country or abroad just do it its epic and if your with a group of like minded people its even better. i spent 2 years planning this with xav and others and im looking forward to the next 2 years planning the next, bring it on :driving: :Yahoo: :Yahoo: :Yahoo: :Yahoo: :Yahoo: :driving: :Drunk: :Drunk: :Friends:

RichEuropaS

Post by RichEuropaS » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:47 pm

:fantastic: :fantastic: :fantastic: :fantastic: :fantastic:
Great video / music and story. Couple of photos did catch my eye ;)

We are both so so jealous... did enjoy watching the story of FB. Someone needs to get a drone for your next trip.

We are currently packing boxes and moving to a new county, we had to cancel our trip :blink:
Look forward to getting to one of the South meets and catching up with you all...
Europa S 2.0 Turbo

oggy

Post by oggy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 pm

RichEuropaS wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:47 pm
:fantastic: :fantastic: :fantastic: :fantastic: :fantastic:
Great video / music and story. Couple of photos did catch my eye ;)

We are both so so jealous... did enjoy watching the story of FB. Someone needs to get a drone for your next trip.

We are currently packing boxes and moving to a new county, we had to cancel our trip :blink:
Look forward to getting to one of the South meets and catching up with you all...
Yes I thought they might :lol: I have one I could do with you working your magic on ;) well a couple actually :lol:

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:37 am

Looks great John, some great pics in there.

Look forward to the man down story!!
Exige Roadster
Black Exige S - Going to a good home I hope!
TVR 400 SE - The sofa has gone
Elise S1 - Long gone but not forgotten

janey300

Post by janey300 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:02 am

Great pics/video looks like you had a blast again :)

Good to hear the coolant problem was fixed:)

We are going to Tuscany next year on a road trip taking in the Grossgockner and Dolomites but not thought about the Black Forest is it worth a detour?

Looks like the weather was good :)

Si
aka simon and jane