Been a while!!! Exige written off recently :(

Post your Lotus and related chat in here folks.
chrisbooth0070

Been a while!!! Exige written off recently :(

Post by chrisbooth0070 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi Guys

Just reading through the recent posts and looks like I can still spot a few familiar posters :)

About 2 months ago I was hit by a taxi and the S2 has been written off. Looking for a new car and struggling to justify NOT getting a lotus!

At the moment, I am still in discussions with my insurance, as the valuation and interim payment isn't enough to actually replace the car :Boxer:

Anyway, looking for some advice from my fellow Lotus fans regarding options. I was previously using the car daily (~300 miles per week on mainly motorway), however I now work mainly form home. For me, the Exige was fine as a daily car, although I must admit that on some wet mornings I couldn't really be arsed haha.

So, I will be using the replacement for the odd motorway trip but mainly short trips around the local area / camping trips / blasts to the lakes etc.

1) replace with another S2 n/a
2) replace with an S2 SC
3) replace with Evora n/a
4) replace with Evora SC
5) replace with S3 SC 350

Before the crash I was weighing up the Evora already, so this is the preferred option at the moment. I have an 8yo boy around 4'6" and the mrs is only 4'10". For moderate length journeys, would it be ok in a 2+2 with the pax seat forwards, or are the rear seats completely useless??

Any of you with the other models or even better if you have had more than 1, please let me know how you find it.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
2006 Exige Blue/Black

Dave C

Re: Been a while!!! Exige written off recently :(

Post by Dave C » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi Chris

Good to hear you are still about but shame about the car.

Which ever option, make sure it is SC'd, makes it more fun :D . If you need the extra seats then I would go Evora but try getting you little one in the back behind which ever person they will be behind as the legroom is very small. Also, he might be at the awkward height were his legs aren't long enough to get them at the right angle behind the seat - if you understand what I mean. Also, weigh up in reality if you will ever put him in there as if not them why bother getting a 4 seater. Good friend of mine got a 911 thinking that the kids would be fine in the back but with the booster seat the kids faces almost touched the back of the drivers seat so in the end it was a waste.

Whether you get the SC V6 in an Evora or an Exige I doubt you would be disappointed :P :P

Keep us all posted on which way you go

Cheers, David
Exige Roadster
Black Exige S - Going to a good home I hope!
TVR 400 SE - The sofa has gone
Elise S1 - Long gone but not forgotten

mill

Post by mill » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Why not see if you can get round to the CN’s coffee morning a test some cars out :D

Ps I saw 4’10 at first and thought you meant the Evora 410, now that’s some motor!

PPs sorry about the exige, hope you get the evaluation sorted, did you have any mods listed? This added a massive amount of value to mine when I had my shunt at oulton and is the reason it’s still around today
Black Exige S
Silver E46 M3

chrisbooth0070

Post by chrisbooth0070 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks guys

Yeah I think a SC is in order either way, however the stock of what is for sale at the moment seems very limited!

Regarding the valuation, this was done by an "independent expert", however the only extra he listed was Alloy wheels ...

In fact, it was inspected so well that they didn't ask me why the engine in it was not the one that it had when it was built!

I have given them the following to allow them to value it correctly:-

"sports pack" variant of this model
"touring pack" variant of this model
"oil cooler pack" variant of this model
air conditioning
electric windows
"probax" seats upgrade
traction control upgrade
stage 2 exhaust system
carbon fibre induction kit
harness bar upgrade
Xenon light upgrade (aftermarket)
alloy wheel upgrade (previously only option item mentioned on valuation report)
replacement engine has only covered ~65,000 miles whereas vehicle has covered ~100,000 miles (gearbox also fully rebuilt less that 1,000 miles ago if relevant)

For each of the models, are there any things I should look out for, or warning signs?
2006 Exige Blue/Black

Danelaw

Post by Danelaw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am

We have regularly used our Evora as a 4-seater. My wife is approx. 5'6" and now both daughters are taller but we can still fit in for trips of around an hour. Previously we have driven across the Netherlands and Germany to Denmark on three or four locations. This was great fun in the Evora and the girls preferred it to flying or using a people carrier, but to add to comfort we stopped briefly after 2 hours to stretch legs for 5 minutes.
It is a tight fit and so not for everyone, but there are compensations with the regular amusement of 4 people getting into and out of a small sports car, plus the amazed looks when people spot faces at small rear windows. This is far more fun than you might think. With children it is well worth trying the Evora for the 2+2 layout. If you only want a 2-seater then the Evora is harder to justify, but still a great car.

chrisbooth0070

Post by chrisbooth0070 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am

Excellent thanks.

Today I plan to test a 2+2 and a newish Exige to help me decide.
2006 Exige Blue/Black

nelly111s
Site Admin

Post by nelly111s » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Hope you found what you were looking for. It may be worth going to Oakmere's breakfst meet next week (see other post).

Nelly
Silver 111S - gone
Ardent Red 111R - gone
Chrome Orange S - yippee

chrisbooth0070

Post by chrisbooth0070 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 am

I would, however I have a family function in Yorkshire this weekend :(

I had a test of the Evora SR S there on Sunday and quite fancy one of them.

Just need to juggle finances etc, as they are hovering around the £40k mark and that is quite a gap from my settlement plus savings.
2006 Exige Blue/Black

theelanman

Post by theelanman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Ive got little kids and have them in the evora with what are big child seats....theyre the Recaro Young Sport Hero.....
and the both kids in no problem.......
Ive just upgraded the little girls seat to the Milano as she now big enough and this gives about 6" worth of leg room back.....
have also bought the lad one while I was getting......
Ive had my 11 year old Nephew in the back with no problem.....and also my two 7 year old nieces........no problem.....
prices.......are strong or certainly not moving far......the N/A has stopped at about £30k for a launch edition (you can get cheaper if you dont mind the miles on it).......£35k for the S.....£39k for the SR.....and they dont tend to hand around long either.........put your desired car on paper and ask the dealer to find it for you......if you get to about a third of whats on your list Id jump at it.......
good luck